Filling and Powering Up Your Portable Spa
You have done the research and found the perfect American Spa for you and your loved ones and now it’s installed right where you want it. What’s next?Now it’s time to fill it up with water, and get it ready for your friends and family to enjoy. Although this may seem like a straight forward task, there are a few things you need to pay attention to when filling up a hot tub for the first time. Here is the Proper way to get you American Spa ready.
1.Inspect the spa equipment. After the spa has been placed on an approved surface and has been correctly wired by a licensed electrician, inspect all plumbing connections in the equipment area of your spa. Ensure that these connections are secure and that they did not loosen during shipment.
If your spa has gate valves, make sure they are all in the UP or OPEN position. IMPORTANT NOTE: Depending on the year and model, your particular spa may not be equipped with gate valves.
Never run the spa with the gate valves closed or without water circulating for long periods of time. Be careful not to over-tighten the plumbing fittings.
2. Remove the cartridge from filter canister.Unscrew the cartridge and remove it. After you remove the filter, remove the plastic wrapper and soak it in water for 30 minutes before you replace it. A dry filter can allow air into the filtration system which can cause the pump to fail to prime. Never try to pull the filter cartridge while the spa is running in low or high speed (i.e., any speed).
3. Fill the spa. Place a garden hose in the filter canister and fill your spa with regular tap water about six inches from the top. If the water level is too low or too high, your spa will not operate properly. Always fill the spa through the filter canister! Failure to do so may cause air to be trapped in the filtration system and prevent the pumps from operating properly.
Never fill your spa with soft water.
Soft water makes it impossible to maintain the proper water chemistry and may cause the water to foam, which will ultimately harm the finish of the spa and void your warranty.
You may fill your spa with well water provided the following conditions are met: 1) Purchase and use a pre-filter to run the well water through on the fill-up. The pre-filter will be placed before the spa filter in the fill-up flow of water. 2) Have a Total Dissolved Solids (TDS) and metals test performed by a qualified person after
4.Turn on power to the spa. When the spa is filled to the correct level, turn on the power at the GFCI breaker. (Ensure that the 120V spas are connected to the proper electrical outlet.)
5.Prime the pump. For VS300. Your spa will perform a self-diagnostic check and go into Priming Mode. The control panel will display either RUN PUMPS PURG AIR — or Priming Mode, depending on which control panel you have.
Do the following:
- Press the JETS or JETS 1 button once to start the pump in low speed.
- Press it again to switch the pump to high speed.
- If you have other pumps, press JETS 2 or JETS 3 to turn them on also.
Running the pumps helps the pumps prime. After two minutes, the pump should prime. If it does not, follow the priming instructions on the next page. If it does, continue with the next step.
6.Install the filter into the filter canister. Make sure the filter has soaked at least 30 minutes before you install it. Insert the filter all the way and screw it in. Do not over-torque the cartridge during installation, just hand tighten gently.
7.Adjust water chemistry. Test and adjust the water chemistry. See the section on page 18 for instructions on water clarity.
8.Let the spa heat up. When the spa has finished priming, the heater will activate. Put the cover on and let the spa heat to the set temperature.
You’ve successfully started your American Spa. We told you it wasn’t that complicated. As a reward, sit back, relax, and let your troubles float away in your hot tub.
As always, if you have any questions about filling up your hot tub for the first time, please don’t hesitate to ask.
You can reach us by phone at (909) 623-8781 EXT. 312
Don’t have an American spa ? Contact us Now to find the best deal today!